November 15, 2012

We all deserve a medal.

I'm depressed and anxious this week, so I'm kind of phoning it in.
I've been reading a lot of Carrie Fisher lately.  She's insane.  And I love it.  Today I finished the book "Wishful Drinking" and found this gem at the end in the author's note:
 "One of the things that baffles me (and there are quite a few) is how there can be so much lingering stigma with regards to mental illness, specifically bipolar disorder. In my opinion, living with manic depression takes a tremendous amount of balls. Not unlike a tour of duty in Afghanistan (though the bombs and bullets, in this case, come from the inside). At times, being bipolar can be an all-consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and even more courage, so if you're living with this illness and functioning at all, it's something to be proud of, not ashamed of. They should issue medals along with the steady stream of medications one has to ingest."
There.  There's your medal.  Wear it Proudly.

And so I posted that on facebook.  I hope mental illness doesn't start to dominate my li...  Hahahahahahahaha!  It's already taken over in here, I'm just letting it spill out now.  I wonder how many will unfriend me as I get more and more obnoxious...  Because of course that's where my brain goes.  I will lose all my friends and be alone.  Forever.  I'm breaking a little this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming. I hope you get something out of this. I hope you learn about yourself. I hope you get help if you need it or give it if you can.